Sunday, July 28, 2013

Quilt Symposium : Part 3

On Saturday I volunteered to be an "Angel" - this involved being assigned to one of the classes to help the tutor and participants. I was an angel when Symposium was in Palmerston North in 2007 - that time I was lucky enough to Angel for Becky Goldsmith - one of the Piece O' Cake designers
This year I was very lucky again and my assignment was Kim McLean
- I was soooo excited and spent the whole day buzzing. She is a very generous tutor. First thing she did was give me a quilt pattern!
She shared lots of information with the students. As well as demonstrating her method of needle-turn hand applique, she had a hands-on approach to helping students with fabric selection.
She also took the class for a visit to the merchant mall where she talked about patterned fabrics and which ones are useful for her style of applique - get some ideas from her online tutorial HERE
Kim mainly uses the Kaffe Fassett range of fabrics now, so that necessitated another wee spend by me
and I will be looking at my home fabric stash in a different way.
Here's a few close-up shots of Kim's applique to share some of her design details and fabric choices (even closer if you click on the picture).
I am really inspired but determined to complete my current 'to do' list first.
See more at this blog about Kim's quilts - it includes some tutorials by Kim. Sister blogs include Australian Glorious Applique and Holland and Denmark
If you have trouble sourcing her designs, you can buy Kim's patterns (and Kaffe Fassett fabric) from Glorious Colour store
And now the last week of the school holidays has flown by and normal routines start again tomorrow. That means more stitching time for me :-)

4 comments:

  1. What a lucky girl you are.....that would have been awesome.....love Kim's patterns and Kaffe's fabrics......I have not see the 4 seasons pattern before....is it new......Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  2. She makes one quilt a year and I think this was last year's. Was giving us sneak previews on her ipad of her latest creation. All lovely :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Kaffe Fassett fabrics too, I think because they are so vibrant. I never met or saw Kim at all. she obviously wasn't staying with the tutors at the motel. C

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oooh, those fabrics, how absolutely gorgeous those are. I have never heard of Kim, but I like how her work looks a lot. But those fabrics, those have to live with me right now! ;-)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment. I will always respond to you so check back here in a couple of days.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...