Saturday, November 29, 2014

Postcard swap

iHanna regularly organises an international postcard swap - and this time around I've joined in. As soon as I signed up, I made a list of the elements I'd like to include - sprays, stencils, stitch, found words, serviettes, butterflies, sari ribbon. These are all part of my artistic language. In early November, I had a play using my "go-to" method of creating card bases - sprays and stencils down - soaking up spray by laying more card on top
I cut the bases to postcard size - decided to go with 4.5" x 6.5"
Next layer was glued down serviettes...here's an example of how one 1/4 of a serviette design ended up on 3 cards - you remove just the top layer and I use gel medium to glue it. When dry it's lovely and transparent so you can see the layer underneath.
Click on any photo to see it larger.
And here they are at the end of that stage - you can see that many of them now have the "butterflies" element I wanted.
The swap requires 10 postcards, but I cut enough to use up all my card backgrounds. I'll share what I did with the remaining cards later in the week : Go HERE
For my 10 swaps I added found words, stitch and, in most cases, a bit of sari ribbon for added texture and general yumminess. Here they all are - I can't decide which one is my favourite :-) Click on any photo to see them larger.
My great grandmother collected postcards which are now mine. There were a couple without writing on the back, so I have been able to alter one to use on the back of those that I am sending :
original postcard back
Here's what it looks like printed with my personal details and stitched on as the back of a postcard ready to be written :
Got my 10 addresses today so these will be posted on Monday, and then I wait for happy mail in my letter box :-)
PS if you want to see what other people have been creating for this swap, go HERE.

8 comments:

  1. Hello from Canada, Lynette! I just found your blog through Ihanna and have been busy making postcards as well. I am married to a Kiwi, and have been to NZ a few times. Such a beautiful land! Hope you are enjoying your springtime.
    Shelly

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous cards - so much depth and beauty - lucky are the swappers who get one of your cards. Hard to pick a favourite, great collection.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the napkin idea--how clever! Thanks for sharing your process. Don't you just love a postcard swap!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, these are so pretty! Love the bird nest, and the stitching and the layers and... all of it. Thanks for sharing and brightening my day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful cards! I enjoyed seeing your process. I hope I am one of the lucky ones to get your card.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very, very lovely cards -lucky people who are the recipients!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your cards are fabulous! I love them.

    ReplyDelete
  8. These are quite pretty! They have a lovely complexity and I especially love the "cut out poetry"!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment. I will always respond to you so check back here in a couple of days.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...