Saturday, October 24, 2015

Week 42 : DLP 2015

Information about the FREE weekly Documented Life project is HERE. Still in this month's theme of translucent papers -
I have a pad of this which I think is pretty close to vellum :
It's not a tracing paper like tissue, but shinier/stiffer. Last time I made something with this I was doing gelli printing on some different surfaces - some were transparent so you might like to see them HERE. This is what my vellum printed paper looked like laid on top of sheet music
Before beginning my page, I was also thinking about Jane LaFazio's masterful use of vellum overlays in her journal : 
Artwork by Jane LaFazio
There's a tutorial detailing this technique on her blog HERE.
Initially I loved the look of the gelli print so much that I got out my plate and started playing and got totally distracted for a couple of hours...that's another blog post! 
As I did the gelli printing though, I was cleaning the stencils off on some underpaper and realised it would be an easy way to create a background since I had no idea where to start or where I was going!
It's quite green and has some leafy shapes, so that inspired me to start doodling flowers on the tracing paper with a black micron pen
Decided I would start doing that on the background too and repeated some designs on the 2 different surfaces
Eventually I had covered my vellum
and my background (although you may need to click on the photo to make it larger and see the detail of the drawings)
And then it was time to put them together - I decided to make a hinge of washi tape to attach the vellum
You can see through the vellum to the designs behind, and I decided I liked the contrast of the black on the paper over the busy background so didn't feel the need to add colour like Jane did in the example.
And here's the spread complete with thanks to Jane LaFazio for her "sheer genius" of inspiration and happiness that I had a few hours of sheer fun. 
Click on the photo to enjoy it larger or see it in the Flickr album I've created for all my Documented Life 2015 spreads HERE. You can see all my posts about this project HERE.

2 comments:

  1. way fun! combining all my favorite things! Thanks so much for the mention!! xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I love this! I used actual vellum but using it in this way would be much easier than the way I did it!:/ Love your doodles!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment. I will always respond to you so check back here in a couple of days.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...